Yes you read that right. I am grateful for the dentist. I woke up this morning at 6:30 am to make sure I made it to my dentist’s office by 8:00 am for an average run-of-the-mill root canal. Fun. Nothing like the sound of the dental drill and tooth enamel dust flying through the air to wake you up in the morning.
In all honesty, no I do not love going to the dentist. I’m not crazy. I’m not a masochist. At least not in a dental kind of way. In an emotional victim just-let-me-feel-sorry-for-myself-for-a-week kind of way, maybe. Sometimes. But I digress. I don’t love visiting the dentist, but I’m sure grateful I have one. Here’s a list:
- Grateful that I have affordable access to dental insurance
- Grateful that I have a job that allows me to pay for said dental insurance
- Grateful that I found a great dentist’s office on the Westside (Dr. Cynthia Cheung. I recommend).
- Grateful that there are TV’s in every chair and that I get to watch Moneyball while getting a root canal. Jonah Hill is so sweet in that movie. You just might say he gives me a toothache.
- Grateful that I have a renewed sense of commitment to dental hygiene (three root canals and 4 fillings will do that to you.)
- Grateful that I live in the era of modern medicine where, let’s be honest, there really isn’t a ton of pain involved. As much as we all like to complain about the dentist, they have gotten really good at making procedures as painless as possible. The worst part of this morning was the shot of Novocaine to numb up my gums, and the realization that I’d run out of episodes of The Big Bang Theory on my last root canal. A shot in the gums is much better than a shot of whiskey and someone’s hand to squeeze.
I’ve been in that position where my tooth is cracked and I don’t have insurance and all I see are dozens of dollar signs drilling a hole in first my pocket, then my tooth, then my soul. So while going to the dentist is not the most fun thing in the world to do on Wednesday morning at 8:00 a.m., I am very thankful. Sometimes you have to be thankful for the not so fun things too. They can be just as important.
Plus my teeth are all purdy now. Thank you Dentists!
See ya tomorrow!